Thursday 6 February 2014

Using Google Hangouts

Swansea University © David Gill
I was invited to contribute to a second year undergraduate lecture in Egyptology, followed by a taught MA seminar, both at Swansea University. This was the first year that I had used Google Hangouts.

I used a MacBook Pro with built in camera. The connection was very straightforward and I linked to a former Swansea colleague (also using a MacBook Pro). I was then projected onto the screen.

The interaction worked well and the students were able to ask questions and seek clarification. (In a previous year we had used a twitter wall.)

The one draw back was the speed of the connection. I was connected using the wireless network and when I tried to show web-based materials everything ground to a halt. So the lesson is: test your connection speed, and if you are going to use Hangouts with webpages then use a wired machine!

However the delivery of a Powerpoint lecture was unproblematic and the Swansea students seemed to find the lecture and seminar helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment